Wiki Intra-Urethral Anesthesia

Jessim929

Guru
Best answers
For CPT 00910 - are there units or time measured involved or is it a one and done?

Here's my situation: when the urology docs I code for do a TUNA (CPT 53852, trans-urethral destruction of prostate by radiofrequency thermotherapy), they administer Xylocaine jelly before they do the procedure. One of them indicates that he uses the cystoscope to administer it and wondered why it kept bundling.

Any guidance anyone who knows more about this than I do can provide would be most welcomed!

Thank you!

00910 is only billable by an Anesthesiologist and its for IV anestheisa
Local, topical or regional anesthesia administered by the physician performing the procedure is part of the global surgical package is not separately billable

Local, topical or regional anesthesia administered by the physician performing the procedure is part of the global surgical package is not separately billable

Thank you! Now I get to have that discussion with the doctors... Whee. :)

Another question regarding this: can we bill for the medication (Xylocaine jelly) itself? Even without billing for the administration of it?