Wiki Intraop tee

Best answers
I need some clarification and where to find answer please
scenario
cardiothoracic surgeon does CABG procedure on pt and in his report dictates independent TEE report. but then the TEE is sent out and the cardiologist read (usually a day later) and charges for the TEE. is it possible for the cardiothoracic to charge anything?

same as above but the report not sent out to be read by anyone. the cardiothoracic dr is the only one that interps it?

thanks so much

I need some clarification and where to find answer please
scenario
cardiothoracic surgeon does CABG procedure on pt and in his report dictates independent TEE report. but then the TEE is sent out and the cardiologist read (usually a day later) and charges for the TEE. is it possible for the cardiothoracic to charge anything?

same as above but the report not sent out to be read by anyone. the cardiothoracic dr is the only one that interps it?

thanks so much

I don't know if I can be of much help but I'll certainly try.

I found this older document: https://www.scahq.org/sca3/events/2...Billing for Intraoperative TEE - Troianos.pdf

In the first example, why is the cardiologist also participating? Is this for a second opinion/consultation? What code is being billed?

intraop tee

the hospital will send it for a cardiologists to read and give report cardiologists charge 93314 26 93320 26 93325 26 anesthesiologists charge probe placement surgeon is the supervising dr which doesn't get to charge anything if the cardiologists reads the report. so when it is not sent to cardiologists to read what can we charge if we can for the intraop interpretation

the hospital will send it for a cardiologists to read and give report cardiologists charge 93314 26 93320 26 93325 26 anesthesiologists charge probe placement surgeon is the supervising dr which doesn't get to charge anything if the cardiologists reads the report. so when it is not sent to cardiologists to read what can we charge if we can for the intraop interpretation

Gotcha. If the anesthesiologist charges the probe placement (93313), then the cardiologist must charge 93314 to go with the 93313. 93320 and 93325 are add-on codes to 93314, which obviously gets billed by the cardiologist. The TC components would be billed on the facility side. Payers will have policies or guidelines as to the type of providers that can bill for these services, specifically whether the echocardiographer is a cardiologist or anesthesiologist.

"Coverage for evaluation, however, is not allowed for monitoring, technical trouble shooting, or any other purpose that does not meet the medical necessity criteria for the diagnostic test." The services must be for diagnostic reasons, so if the surgeon, who is not the anesthesiologist nor the cardiologist, is reading and interpreting the reports as the operative session progresses, that would be a monitoring-type of situation as opposed to a diagnostic because the surgery had not been completed.

In that link I gave you, at the bottom of page 2 and then onto page 3, it discusses this.
https://www.scahq.org/sca3/events/2...Billing for Intraoperative TEE - Troianos.pdf