Wiki intraop testing

herrera4

Guru
Best answers
I usually code for a general surgeon but this time he did a parathyroid excision and did 2 intraop test for PTH levels-Can/do I use the 83970 for this? and he did 2-can i bill 2 units? thanks for any info

I usually code for a general surgeon but this time he did a parathyroid excision and did 2 intraop test for PTH levels-Can/do I use the 83970 for this? and he did 2-can i bill 2 units? thanks for any info
I do not believe so, attached is the guidance information provided by quest

Attachments

• JN-FCSO---MLCP---L34018---Parathormone.pdf
    131 KB · Views: 2
I'm clearly not being disrespectful here, but you are posting a question with an LCD reference that clearly doesn't even deal with pathology. Intraoperative "chemistry testing" has nothing to do with the pathology specialty here. I clearly know that 88172, 88177, 88329, 88331, 88332, 88333, 88334 guidelines don't cover this coding scenario.
Please do not be disappointed here and try just posting this very same question somewhere else where colleagues can help you, please! We are all looking for answers. Someone may have important feed back okay. From the little bit I read in utilization guidelines off the top of my head; it stated it was once per a day.

Note: I wanted to edit two smally typographical errors that I have now fixed. My fingers sometimes don't keep up with the thoughts that I wanted to share, and I do apologize. I am not saying that the 83970 doesn't belong in laboratory. But if they are performing this testing "intraoperatively", my thought process is that a surgery website may be a better website or avenue for advocates on how to proceed billing this out please. The Pathology & Clinical Laboratory forum doesn't provide what is happening in the OR. We only receive laboratory test results and pathology reports. The stuff that happens in the OR is found in a surgical report. If you leaned on someone in endocrinology that codes this coding event, they may be able or assist you better here in my opinion. That was the outcome I was hopeful to portrait. Thank you so much for inquiring, but please do not be afraid to reach out to a different forum on the AAPC to help you here okay.
Thanks,
Dana

*Dang, so sorry I missed a word and edited it (yes again); so sorry here

Last edited: