Wiki Intraoperative bleeding

knperry

Guru
Best answers
I need some confirmation on whether or not I chose the right code. For the following surgery I coded 37244. Can anyone tell me if this is correct.

REASON FOR CONSULTATION: Intraoperative bleeding.

INDICATION FOR PROCEDURE: A 43-year-old female who has been operated on for hysterectomy by the dr. Patient developed bleeding in the pelvis and was consulted for evaluation for hemostasis and control of bleeding.

INTRAOPERATIVE PROCEDURE: Upon entering the operating room, the area of bleeding was identified, appeared to be venous bleeding deep within the pelvis. The uterus had been removed and the stump was visualized. Upon prep evaluation of the operative site, on the patient's right deep within the
pelvis, there was venous bleeding. Sutures were placed to evaluate the bleeding stump. Several graspers were used and hemostatic suture with ligation of the right lateral wall of the vaginal cuff and the uterus stump. The remainder of the evaluation was for bleeding of the left stump. Evaluation of the pelvis posteriorly by retraction of the uterus down and the other structures towards the lateral side revealed bleeding on that side. This was controlled eventually by a figure-of-eight stitch of 0-Vicryl. This was done on the right side for adequate hemostasis and then on the patient's left side. At the end of the case, the pelvis was then reevaluated, hemostasis found to be adequate and the abdomen was then irrigated and closed. The Pfannenstiel incision midline was approximated by the Dr. and a
cephalad portion to prevent hernia at the umbilicus was placed. This was followed by closure of the fascia in the Pfannenstiel. After closure of the abdomen, the patient tolerated the procedure well. The dr. will dictate the previous hysterectomy part of the operation.

Ok I looked at both and I think 35840 is the best code, but how did you look it up in the back of the book. I'm not sure what I should have used to look the code up.

Thank you for your help!