Wiki intraoperative monitoring

Best answers
can I code 95867 and 95940 with a superficial parotidectomy? I was under the impression that these can not be billed by the operating physician

You are correct - the intraoperative monitoring is inclusive to the global surgical package. Both of these codes bundle to the surgical procedure under NCCI rules and a modifier is not allowed to override this. Intraoperative monitoring is normally only payable when performed by a different provider from the surgeon and anesthesiologist.

You are correct - the intraoperative monitoring is inclusive to the global surgical package. Both of these codes bundle to the surgical procedure under NCCI rules and a modifier is not allowed to override this. Intraoperative monitoring is normally only payable when performed by a different provider from the surgeon and anesthesiologist.
thank you that is what I thought

can I code 95867 and 95940 with a superficial parotidectomy? I was under the impression that these can not be billed by the operating physician

Reader Question: Don't Expect Neuro Monitoring To Be Billable
- Published on 2011-09-09

Question: What diagnosis should I use when the physician performed 42415, and the assisting physician used a NIM monitor?
Nevada Subscriber

Answer: Most payers do not pay for neuro monitoring even when it is done by another physician. The diagnosis used is the diagnosis documented. If a payer has a limitation on the diagnoses and pays for the monitoring, the diagnoses will be specific to the payer. This means you need to indicate what is documented.
Tip: Find out from your biggest payers if they ever pay for the monitoring or if they have a policy limiting the diagnoses. Medicare, however, never pays for the monitoring.

That would be no, NIMs is part of the global procedure.

Jennifer
Coding Analyst