Wiki IOP billing for less than 3 hours

donaldjr1969

Contributor
Best answers
Hello there.

At my place of employment, we offer IOP behavioral health services and normally bill for greater than 2hrs (almost lways the full 3hr program) service on an 837i under revenue code 906. My question concerns how to bill and code for IOP services that are, say under 2 hours (1hr 45 mins for example). I'm certain that we cannot use Modifier 52 as psychotherapy codes are time based. Do we bill as 90853, Group Psychotherapy, H0004 x7, or is there some other way to bill/code this that I am not seeing? The intent of this is for a client that either leaves on their own, has to be removed due to behavioral issues, or any other reason that only allows said client to receive 1hr, 45 mins of IOP treatment.

As always, I thank you in advance. :)

IOP billing, ADDITIONAL INFO

I forgot to add that since we are billing this as a FACILITY, we are submitting the claims under a UB04/837i rather than a CMS1500 which is what I thought a coworker meant when approached with this question. But we still use revenue code 906 for the full minimun length of time.

This would help if anybody knows the answer because...suprise surprise...Aetna and other payors have not returned any phone calls/emails on the subject...