Wiki Iron Infusions

rross

Networker
Best answers
I was wondering if anyone has had alot of denials for your Iron infusions, (ferrlecit or venofer) due to not having two different codes. I have been in touch with our billing office and have been told we haven't had any denials for the iron unless they get it the same day as the Aranesp. Evidently a drug rep has told one of our physicians that we were getting alot of denials because we weren't using 2 codes. I haven't found any information anywhere stating we needed to use 2 different diagnosis codes.

I would be greatful if anyone has any ideas on this matter.

Irons

We have not run across Iron infusion denials. If they are given same day as Aranesp, we add a 59 mod to the 96372 and that seems to get both admin codes paid. I haven't heard anything about having to use 2 codes for the iron. Sorry I can't be of more help, but good luck!

We enter a modifier 59 went patient receives Iron and Aranesp on the same day, and we still get denials for the Aranesp. If the def. code is on the claim, we get a line item denial. Short of having the patients come in on two different days, I don't know what else we can do.

As for the 2 codes, after speaking with the drug rep, it was a requirement for their particular drug that we are not currently using yet.