Wiki Is a urine culture a "unique test"?

HavaTwo

Contributor
Best answers
If a provider orders a urinalysis and a culture is performed on abnormal findings, is the culture counted as a "unique test"? Maybe I am overthinking this, but I am hesitant to call it a "unique test" as the urinalysis has to be resulted (with abnormal findings) before the culture can be performed. Thoughts, anyone? Thank you.

From the AMA guidelines (my emphasis added):
Unique: A unique test is defined by the CPT code set. When multiple results of the same unique test (eg, serial blood glucose values) are compared during an E/M service, count it as one unique test. Tests that have overlapping elements are not unique, even if they are identified with distinct CPT codes. For example, a CBC with differential would incorporate the set of hemoglobin, CBC without differential, and platelet count. A unique source is defined as a physician or other qualified health care professional in a distinct group or different specialty or subspecialty, or a unique entity. Review of all materials from any unique source counts as one element toward MDM.