Wiki is there no history Z code for history of osteoarthritis?

Best answers
In my practicode case, the pt was diagnosed with primary osteoarthritis in the left knee, and had a history of bilateral DJD. So with the expected M16.12, I wanted to add a history code from Z89.3. The rationale said no, the only ICD code was M16.12. So does history of OA/DJD not have any history code?

Hi Angel of the South:)
The Z89 & Z90 dx blocks are for amputations and removed organs. I d use the personal HO of DJD/ostepor. of dx Z87.39 "Past personal medical HO of musculoskeletal problems." The Dx Z87.310 is history of DJD if patient had healed fracture.
I hope this data helps you
Lady T(y)

In my practicode case, the pt was diagnosed with primary osteoarthritis in the left knee, and had a history of bilateral DJD. So with the expected M16.12, I wanted to add a history code from Z89.3. The rationale said no, the only ICD code was M16.12. So does history of OA/DJD not have any history code?
Osteoarthritis is a form of DJD and in this case these two are really referring to the same thing, so I think the practicode is telling you that you wouldn’t code a history in addition because you are already coding this as a current condition.

Providers will often use ‘history of’ this way in documentation to describe an ongoing condition condition that has not resolved (e.g. you will see ‘the patient has a history of diabetes’ documented for diabetic patients) in which case it is not reported using a history code. In cases where it is not clear in the record if the condition is resolved or ongoing, it may be necessary to query the provider.

Last edited:
M16.12 is OA of the hip. You need M17.12.

History is only coded when the condition is no longer treated.
Being that the patient continues to have OA of the knee, you would code this as a current condition only.