Wiki Is this still in global period?

coder25

Guru
Best answers
Pt underwent a lap chole without cholangiogram on 6/10/10 and presented back to the hospital on 8/12/10 with severe RUQ pain. An ultrasound revealed the presence of a 6 mm CBD stone. We were consulted for this and subsequently saw them daily in the hospital until 8/16/10.

Would this be billable or considered part of the postop period for the lap chole?

Thank you for your help.

My initial thoughts are this is global. The only way to get paid during the global period is by using the 24 modifier or going back into the OR. 24 says unrelated and to me this would not qualify as unrelated.

Having said that I also want to say I am not a clinical person. I would ask the doctor their opinion on whether or not this was related. If they feel this is unrelated and their documentation supports that then you could bill using the 24.

Just my take on it,

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

I did ask the doc and he feels that is was not related as an ultrasound done at that time did not find any stones during his first admission. It was only during the second admission that the CBD stone was found via an ultrasound.

Thanks for your help! It is much appreciated!

Peggy