Wiki IUD complications

thice

Best answers
Can I use an acute problem diagnosis code with the removal of an IUD or do I have to use Z30.432? For example, this patient kept her IUD in for over 18 years and now has a tubo-ovarian abscess (N70.03) because of it. That is the diagnosis the physician wants to use for the removal of the IUD instead of a routine removal code. Or would a code from T83 be more accurate? Thanks in advance for your help.

If the patient is coming in for the removal of their IUD you would use:

Z30.432 Encounter for removal of IUD

In addition you would list the diagnosis code for the abscess if that is noted and documented by your provider as the reason for the removal.

The use of T83.3 would be incorrect as this notes a breakdown, displacement, or mechanical complication which is not specified in your description below.

We saw the patient in the emergency room, she was complaining of severe abdominal pain and that was when the abscess was noted. We took the IUD out in the emergency room. I just want to be able to relay to the insurance company the importance of removing it, not that it was just a routine removal.

You will not use the z code for an emergent removal of the IUD. I would use the T83 code for other complication of the device since the provider documented that the device did cause the issue. therefore it did fail in some way. Then code the abscess. if you feel the removal code needs to be there then use it last but I do not code the Z code for the removal when there is a complication.