Wiki IUD insertsion

rleif1sun

Guru
Best answers
patient presents for IUD insertion. on first attempt of placement, IUD was dislodged during cutting strings. second attempt with new IUD was inserted successfully.
do I bill for just 1 IUD or can both get billed?

Last edited:
While I have never had this scenario, what I have heard from others is that they contacted the manufacturer to get a replacement for the one dislodged, and billed insurance for 1.
I don't think you will ever get an insurance to pay for 2 IUDs same day same patient. But, your practice did lay out the materials, which is why contacting the manufacturer for a replacement might be your best option.

patient presents for IUD insertion. on first attempt of placement, IUD was dislodged during cutting strings. second attempt with new IUD was inserted successfully.
do I bill for just 1 IUD or can both get billed?
Yes, csperoni is correct! I work at an OB/GYN office that is also a teaching facility, so we have had this happen on occasion with residents/providers. Each manufacturer is different, but you should be able to contact the manufacturer to open a case to see if they will send you a replacement device. For Bayer (Mirena), I've usually had to give them a call to open a case, but for Allergan (Liletta), they have a form online that you can print and fill out with the details of the incident and then either fax or email back in to them. Just be aware that if the incident involved a possible defect of the device (say that the device did not release as expected, etc.), they will sometimes request for you to send back the device in question. I typically have the nurse or provider package up the device in question whenever this happens, so that I will have it on hand in case they want us to send back the old unit. So far we have not had any major issues with getting a replacement device for these occasions, and that way you are only billing insurance for the one device that is inserted successfully!

Just had this happen, this morning, in our office. The patient elected to go with DepoProvera injection after the IUD fell out. My question is, do I still charge for the insertion since it was completed, until the strings were being clipped?

Just had this happen, this morning, in our office. The patient elected to go with DepoProvera injection after the IUD fell out. My question is, do I still charge for the insertion since it was completed, until the strings were being clipped?
Yes, bill for the insertion as it was completed. You will probably have to send in an explanation with the claim, however, if the Depo was given at the same visit.