Wiki IV Push and Hydration

TrimbleSU

New
Best answers
I have a scenario where a provider is billing the following:

IV Push Diphenhydramine - Port - 1100 to 1115 (96374)
IV Hydration - Port - 1100 to 1145 (96361)

Can the hydration be billed with there being an overlap with the time of the IVP? Or would I only be able to give 30 mins time to the hydration after the push time which would make it non-billable?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

It's one of those grey areas on how to count time for infusions, but my interpretation is that the hydration time can only be counted when no other IV therapy services are running concurrently. So in this scenario, since your time for the hydration alone is only 30 minutes, I would not report the 96361 since it does not meet the threshold of an interval greater than 30 minutes. The 15 minutes of hydration running during the IVP is inclusive to 96374.

It's one of those grey areas on how to count time for infusions, but my interpretation is that the hydration time can only be counted when no other IV therapy services are running concurrently. So in this scenario, since your time for the hydration alone is only 30 minutes, I would not report the 96361 since it does not meet the threshold of an interval greater than 30 minutes. The 15 minutes of hydration running during the IVP is inclusive to 96374.
Can you charge for hydration if it’s through a different IV site?

Can you charge for hydration if it’s through a different IV site?
It would depend on why a IV site was used. If it is a medically necessary separate service for the patient, then yes, a separate infusion can be charged. Per CPT guidelines: "only one initial service code (eg, 96365) should be reported unless the protocol or patient condition requires that two separate IV sites must be utilized. The difference in time and effort in providing this second IV site access is also reported using the initial service code with modifier 59 appended (eg, 96365, 96365-59). "