Wiki IVP minutes before Infusion of same drug

lhoot

Best answers
Good Afternoon,
Need some thoughts on an infusion and injection scenario. Per the times documented, an IVP was given just prior to an infusion of the same drug.
ondansetron 2 mg/mL Inj 2mL Infusion Start^ 13:43 Infusion End^ 16:15
ondansetron 2 mg/mL Inj 2mL Admin Start^ 13:42 Admin

Does the time spacing requirement of 15 minutes or more for two IVPs of the same substance also apply if the same substance is given by IVP and infusion? Would the IVP be coded with 96376 or not coded at all, because it is less than 15 minutes of the administration of the same drug that was infused?

Thanks,
Laura

Not sure where you're getting the 15 minute requirement - per the CPT instructions, 96376 can only be reported when "push of the same drug was performed more than 30 minutes beyond the initial administration." So there would have to be more than 30 minutes gap between the two in order to use that code.

Thomas,
You are correct. Definitely meant 30 minutes. I think I had the "more than 15 minutes" time frame stuck in my head for the requirement to be an infusion. Thank you for answering my intended question. IVPs of the same substance as an infusion done within 30 minutes of each other should not be coded.
Laura