Wiki J Code need help with route of admin

goldejoa

Best answers
I have just been handed some urgent care coding that I have NEVER done before so bear with me...

What do I do when the J code ( drug code) does not have the route of admin that is the same as the one administered?

thanks!

J Code help

Could you give more information. What was the J code (drug) and what was the patient being seen for? Also is there anything in the history or medication history that could help?

It is Reglan (metoclopramide) IM for abdominal pain. The only route listed in the HCPCS is IV.. so I am unsure what to do

The drug Reglan (metoclopramide) per the HCPCS book is administered other than oral method. Why would this code J2765 not include IM for administration. I do not see that the only route listed is IV. I show the routes as being other than oral.

In my 2009 HCPCS book it is clearly IV so I don't know.... Is there somewhere else I should be looking... Appendix C has it listed as IV

Last edited:
The book does state IV, however further reading in HCPCS Table of Drugs Appendix 1 states that IV adm includes all methods, such as gravity infusion, injections, and timed pushes. This includes IM.