Wiki J3301 - billing for injections

Best answers
I'm new to billing for injections. Can you bill for a j3301 in a hosp ip setting?

My provider saw a patient who has been in the hospital he gave her an injection (j3301). Can i bill this service as an inpatient service?

These are the codes:

99232 (25)
j3301

i'm getting a rejection for pos am i to bill the 99232 and 20550 and not the j3301 because it was in an inpatient settting?

Thanks

If he personally gave the injection (and it must be very clearly documented, particularly because you're reporting POS 21), then you can bill the admin code. You cannot bill the J code if the meds came from the hospital pharmacy and not the provider's office.

I wouldn't bill the 99232. This is a minor procedure, and CCI edits warn us about billing E&M with a minor procedure. I'm guessing this isn't the first time he saw the patient about this condition. Unless very clearly and separately documented, well over and above the decision for the injection, I'd leave the E&M off.

if he personally gave the injection (and it must be very clearly documented, particularly because you're reporting pos 21), then you can bill the admin code. You cannot bill the j code if the meds came from the hospital pharmacy and not the provider's office.

I wouldn't bill the 99232. This is a minor procedure, and cci edits warn us about billing e&m with a minor procedure. I'm guessing this isn't the first time he saw the patient about this condition. Unless very clearly and separately documented, well over and above the decision for the injection, i'd leave the e&m off.

thanks i just billed for the 20550 not the e/m procedure