• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

J3301 - billing for injections

Messages
113
Location
upper saddle river,nj
I'm new to billing for injections. Can you bill for a j3301 in a hosp ip setting?

My provider saw a patient who has been in the hospital he gave her an injection (j3301). Can i bill this service as an inpatient service?

These are the codes:

99232 (25)
20550
j3301

i'm getting a rejection for pos am i to bill the 99232 and 20550 and not the j3301 because it was in an inpatient settting?

Thanks
 
If he personally gave the injection (and it must be very clearly documented, particularly because you're reporting POS 21), then you can bill the admin code. You cannot bill the J code if the meds came from the hospital pharmacy and not the provider's office.

I wouldn't bill the 99232. This is a minor procedure, and CCI edits warn us about billing E&M with a minor procedure. I'm guessing this isn't the first time he saw the patient about this condition. Unless very clearly and separately documented, well over and above the decision for the injection, I'd leave the E&M off.
 
if he personally gave the injection (and it must be very clearly documented, particularly because you're reporting pos 21), then you can bill the admin code. You cannot bill the j code if the meds came from the hospital pharmacy and not the provider's office.

I wouldn't bill the 99232. This is a minor procedure, and cci edits warn us about billing e&m with a minor procedure. I'm guessing this isn't the first time he saw the patient about this condition. Unless very clearly and separately documented, well over and above the decision for the injection, i'd leave the e&m off.

thanks i just billed for the 20550 not the e/m procedure
 
Top