Wiki Jada System CPT code

Aludwig1

New
Best answers
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows the CPT code that would be used by a physician for the use of the Jada® System? This system is intended to provide control and treatment of abnormal postpartum uterine bleeding or hemorrhage when conservative management is warranted.

In some instances, the uterine muscle fibers do not contract, causing uncontrolled bleeding, referred to as abnormal postpartum uterine bleeding or postpartum hemorrhage. The system establishes a vacuum within the uterus, causing the uterus to contract and leading to control of the bleeding.

Let me know your thoughts!

Ashley

https://www.thejadasystem.com/how-jada-system-works/

Hi Aludwig1, :)
Helpful dx code blocks O72 , 086, N93-N94 and Z39. Postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) is severe bleeding after giving birth. It's a serious and dangerous condition. PPH usually occurs within 24 hours of childbirth, but it can happen up to 12 weeks postpartum. But view CPT 59160 postpartum curettage for hemorrhage and CPT 58563....I' d bill both of these.

More info....
Endometrial ablation is considered medically necessary for premenopausal individuals with abnormal uterine bleeding when both of the criteria (A and B) below are met:
  1. Has one of the following:
    1. Failed prior hormone therapy; or
    2. Declined hormone therapy; or
    3. Contraindications to hormone therapy; and
  2. Has no evidence of polyps or other surgically correctable cause of bleeding on sonogram or hysteroscopy.
Endometrial ablation is considered medically necessary for residual menstrual bleeding or after androgen treatment in a female to male transgender person too
CPT
58353Endometrial ablation, thermal, without hysteroscopic guidance
58356Endometrial cryoablation with ultrasonic guidance, including endometrial curettage, when performed
58563Hysteroscopy, surgical; with endometrial ablation (eg, endometrial resection, electrosurgical ablation, thermoablation)

There are two groups of techniques typically available for performing endometrial ablation: hysteroscopic procedures and non-hysteroscopic procedures. The following have been used for hysteroscopic endometrial ablation: YAG laser, resecting loop using electric current, and electrosurgical rollerball instruments. The following have been used for non-hysteroscopic endometrial ablation: thermal balloon devices, cryosurgical devices, radiofrequency devices, and microwave endometrial ablation systems. Ballon device is type of JADA.

Well hope helped you in deciding which codes you choose with viewing provider's documentation
Lady T

Hi Aludwig1, :)
Helpful dx code blocks O72 , 086, N93-N94 and Z39. Postpartum hemorrhage (PPH) is severe bleeding after giving birth. It's a serious and dangerous condition. PPH usually occurs within 24 hours of childbirth, but it can happen up to 12 weeks postpartum. But view CPT 59160 postpartum curettage for hemorrhage and CPT 58563....I' d bill both of these.

More info....
Endometrial ablation is considered medically necessary for premenopausal individuals with abnormal uterine bleeding when both of the criteria (A and B) below are met:
  1. Has one of the following:
    1. Failed prior hormone therapy; or
    2. Declined hormone therapy; or
    3. Contraindications to hormone therapy; and
  2. Has no evidence of polyps or other surgically correctable cause of bleeding on sonogram or hysteroscopy.
Endometrial ablation is considered medically necessary for residual menstrual bleeding or after androgen treatment in a female to male transgender person too
CPT
58353Endometrial ablation, thermal, without hysteroscopic guidance
58356Endometrial cryoablation with ultrasonic guidance, including endometrial curettage, when performed
58563Hysteroscopy, surgical; with endometrial ablation (eg, endometrial resection, electrosurgical ablation, thermoablation)

There are two groups of techniques typically available for performing endometrial ablation: hysteroscopic procedures and non-hysteroscopic procedures. The following have been used for hysteroscopic endometrial ablation: YAG laser, resecting loop using electric current, and electrosurgical rollerball instruments. The following have been used for non-hysteroscopic endometrial ablation: thermal balloon devices, cryosurgical devices, radiofrequency devices, and microwave endometrial ablation systems. Ballon device is type of JADA.

Well hope helped you in deciding which codes you choose with viewing provider's documentation
Lady T

This is not something used by any of my practices, but I do not think Jada is an ablation. I was thinking it was an alternative to Bakri balloon, and would also be coded as unlisted 59899.
Hopefully one of the more experienced OB forum users will weigh in as well.

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone knows the CPT code that would be used by a physician for the use of the Jada® System? This system is intended to provide control and treatment of abnormal postpartum uterine bleeding or hemorrhage when conservative management is warranted.

In some instances, the uterine muscle fibers do not contract, causing uncontrolled bleeding, referred to as abnormal postpartum uterine bleeding or postpartum hemorrhage. The system establishes a vacuum within the uterus, causing the uterus to contract and leading to control of the bleeding.

Let me know your thoughts!

Ashley

https://www.thejadasystem.com/how-jada-system-works/
This is indeed a procedure that controls hemorrhage and a take on the Bakri balloon. So this can only be billed as an unlisted procedure (59899). A person I know at ACOG has indicated they have no plans for asking CPT to add any codes for use of either the Bakri balloon or the Jada device. As to the work, it would be comparable to 59160 (PP currettage) per the description on the Jada site and given the equipment use. The balloon is passive so better compared to a balloon catheter insertion.

This is not something used by any of my practices, but I do not think Jada is an ablation. I was thinking it was an alternative to Bakri balloon, and would also be coded as unlisted 59899.
Hopefully one of the more experienced OB forum users will weigh in as well.
If the provider did a dilation and curettage and also placement of the Jada, would I do both 59160 and 59899?