Wiki joint replacement - index finger

PattyAnn1006

Best answers
I am taking a billing and coding class so I am totally new to the wonderful world of coding. A question arose tonight - how to code joint replacement of an index finger. The complete text reads as follows:

Mr. Rappaport has been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in the joints of his fingers. The physician performs a joint replacement of the index finger. What is the code?

No one in class can agree on it - if anyone can help, we would all appreciate it.

Thank you.

joint replacement

I am taking a billing and coding class so I am totally new to the wonderful world of coding. A question arose tonight - how to code joint replacement of an index finger. The complete text reads as follows:

Mr. Rappaport has been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in the joints of his fingers. The physician performs a joint replacement of the index finger. What is the code?

No one in class can agree on it - if anyone can help, we would all appreciate it.

Thank you.

ICD-9 or CPT?

I work for a hand surgeon and this is a common procedure in our practice. The correct CPT code would be 26535 (arthroplasty interphalangeal joint; each joint). If the joint is replaced by a prosthetic implant it would be 26536.
Hope this is of some help. Good luck!

Sheila