Wiki Just a thought

Best answers
I am just wondering if becoming certified tumor registrat will help to find a position for newly certified coder :-/ ?

Amatyskiel,
Becoming a certified tumor registrar is a field unto itself. You could use your training/education as a medical coder combined with one year of on-the-job training (1,950 hours) that would allow you to sit for the CTR certification. It's worth a shot if that is something you are interested in. It's a lot more rigorous, however. I worked with the Tumor Registrars at Walter Reed, and they have benchmarks for the number of cases indexed and accuracy. While some of the registry time could be spent working remotely, the registrar supervisor required her employees to comply with benchmarks and accuracy in order to be eligible for remote work. I hope this helps. Eligibility requirements are taken from the National Cancer Registrars Association: http://www.ctrexam.org/eligibility/index.htm

Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to take the CTR exam, candidates must meet education and experience requirements. The routes (A1, A2 and B) are detailed below.
Route A. Experience:
Successful completion of 160 hours of work practicum in a CTR-staffed Cancer Registry (may be part of a NCRA-approved program curriculum).
AND
Education Path 1a): Successful completion of an NCRA-Accredited any Associate Degree Program

OR

Education Path 2a): Successful completion of an NCRA-Accredited Certificate Program
PLUS
successful completion of a minimum of an Associate’s degree or equivalent (60 college-level credits).

Route B. Experience:
1,950 hours (equal to one year full-time) experience in the Cancer Registry field
AND Education: Successful completion of a minimum of any Associate degree or equivalent [60 college-level credits] INCLUDING or IN ADDITION TO SPECIFIC COURSEWORK:
Two semesters of *'Human Anatomy and Human Physiology' (PDF) or equivalent. (Grade of C or better is required).