jacjac10

New
Best answers
Has anyone come up with an efficient strategy to deal with reporting RX waste charges, when a vial size is used that leaves waste beyond the optimal vial size combination?

"The units billed should where possible correspond with the smallest dose (vial) available for purchase from the manufacturer(s) that could provide the appropriate dose for the patient, while minimizing any wastage."

If you find one, I am interested. With NDC billing on the claim needs to match documentation, there isn't a way to correct the claim as some third party auditing companies would like. When I review these from an appeal standpoint, I check for shortages of the possible vial sizes to see if the smallest vial was available - if it wasn't, then appeal with the information and hope they accept it. What is aggravating is when the smallest vial size may not provide the small amount of drug waste - there was one medication that if the larger vial and a smaller vial was used, the drug waste was less - it was still denied as the Payor wanted only small vials.