Wiki JZ Modifier

smlow

New
Best answers
Question? When using the JZ modifier on Remicade we used 6 vials (600 mg) used 550mg and wasted 50mg how would you use the JZ mod. If I have to use a line for each vial for the JZ mod will that not count as a duplicate line?
Thanks
MLow

Are you asking about JZ or JW?
JW is used for drug waste.

here is a link: CMS - JW and JZ modifier policy FAQ
Q13. What is the appropriate way for providers and suppliers to bill for single-dose container drug with discarded amounts using the JW modifier on claims?
A13. When a provider or supplier administers a separately payable drug under Medicare Part B from a single-dose container and there are discarded amounts, the provider or supplier must file a claim with two lines for the drug. For the administered amount, one claim line must include the billing and payment code (such as a HCPCS code) describing the given drug, no modifier, and the number of units administered in the unit field. For the discarded amount, a second claim line must include the same billing and payment code as used for the administered amount, the JW modifier, and the number of units discarded in the units field. For example, if a provider or supplier uses a single-dose container that is labeled to contain 100 units of a drug to administer 95 units to the patient and 5 units are discarded. The 95-unit dose is billed on one line, while the discarded 5 units must be billed on another line with the JW modifier. Both line items would be processed for payment.

Are you asking about JZ or JW?
JW is used for drug waste.

here is a link: CMS - JW and JZ modifier policy FAQ
Q13. What is the appropriate way for providers and suppliers to bill for single-dose container drug with discarded amounts using the JW modifier on claims?
A13. When a provider or supplier administers a separately payable drug under Medicare Part B from a single-dose container and there are discarded amounts, the provider or supplier must file a claim with two lines for the drug. For the administered amount, one claim line must include the billing and payment code (such as a HCPCS code) describing the given drug, no modifier, and the number of units administered in the unit field. For the discarded amount, a second claim line must include the same billing and payment code as used for the administered amount, the JW modifier, and the number of units discarded in the units field. For example, if a provider or supplier uses a single-dose container that is labeled to contain 100 units of a drug to administer 95 units to the patient and 5 units are discarded. The 95-unit dose is billed on one line, while the discarded 5 units must be billed on another line with the JW modifier. Both line items would be processed for payment.
Thank you for the answer. I was asking about the billing for the new JZ modifier.

Thank you for the answer. I was asking about the billing for the new JZ modifier.

ahh...well, the document I linked to is an FAQ for both JW and JZ.
I am just starting to research JZ for my company.

**EDITED to add-- I have several links saved with resources on this topic, and I would be happy to post them, if anyone would like.

**EDITED to add-- I have several links saved with resources on this topic, and I would be happy to post them, if anyone would like.
Yes please that would be helpful. Have you seen anything in your research about vaccines? We are wondering if they "consider" that part of the single doses.

Question? When using the JZ modifier on Remicade we used 6 vials (600 mg) used 550mg and wasted 50mg how would you use the JZ mod. If I have to use a line for each vial for the JZ mod will that not count as a duplicate line?
Thanks
MLow
If there's wastage, then you don't use a modifier on the first line. Just the JW modifier on the wastage line. JZ is only used if there is no wastage at all.