Wiki KBand CPC CFPC

kband

New
Best answers
I am looking for advice on the correct colonoscopy code selection when the physician dictates "polyps removed by desiccation". Would I use code 45383 "Colonoscopy, flexible, proximal to the splenic flexure; with ablation of tumor(s), polyp(s), or other lesion(s) not amenable to removal by hot biopsy forceps, bipolar cautery or snare technique", or code 45384 "Colonoscopy, flexible, proximal to the splenic flexure; with removal of tumor(s), polyp(s), or other lesion(s) by hot biopsy forceps or bipolar cautery." Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I'd go back to the surgeon and ask exactly how the polyps were removed. Were they removed by hot biopsy forceps, bipolar cautery, or snare technique? If the surgeon gives you a hard time, I'd explain that you need to know in order to code correctly and to get paid.

I have requested to the surgeon to please specify in the procedure note the method used. However, the response to that is no. I will continue to ask her but since the method is not documented I can only assume I use code 45383. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Yes I have a suggestion. Tell the doc if they don't tell you how it was done she won't get paid. we all have to live within the rules that are there even if we don't like it.

I have no idea what removal by desiccation means.

Have you tried actually showing her the CPT book descriptions of the codes? Maybe if she sees how specific the descriptions are and what you have to go by then she'll understand why you are asking. That's worked for me with a couple of our more difficult doctors.

Have you tried actually showing her the CPT book descriptions of the codes? Maybe if she sees how specific the descriptions are and what you have to go by then she'll understand why you are asking. That's worked for me with a couple of our more difficult doctors.

I never thought of that. I for one thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to keep that in mind in case I get a difficult provider for both ICD and CPT coding.

I never thought of that. I for one thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to keep that in mind in case I get a difficult provider for both ICD and CPT coding.

You're welcome!

I also did a bit of research into what "desiccation of polyps" might mean...

One reference says that desiccation refers to the slight ablation of tissue that occurs during the hot snare polyp removal. (Successful Training in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy By Jonathan Cohen)

Perhaps she is just referring to a hot snare polyp removal... still you would need clarification in the documentation.