Wiki L1833 billing on same date as outpatient surgery

Gladdie

New
Best answers
One of the surgeons I bill for dispenses L1833 knee braces to some of his outpatient surgery patients. United Healthcare commercial plan used to pay for these braces, but around April 2018, it stopped paying and started denying the braces as part of the global service. I called and spoke to a rep about a policy change. She denied any knowledge of a change in policy and suggested I do a reconsideration. UHC denied the reconsideration stating the claim was paid correctly. Does anyone have any advice they can share? Thank you.

what was the reason for denial on the eob? We use modifier KX on the code and we have not had an issue getting paid.

The denial reads that these services are not covered when performed within the global period of another service. We only use the medically necessary KX modifier on Medicare claims and some Medicare replacement plans. Do you use the KX on commercial plans?

United follows CMS guidelines so we use the KX for them. I checked allowed modifiers to see if 58 was listed but its not. I also searched the united medical policies and I couldn't find one referencing anything about dmes being included in global. Are you using place of service 12?