Wiki L3020 icd-10

mmberry

Best answers
I am having trouble coding for both orthotics when the patient has a condition on only one foot. Here's the scenario:
A patient comes in and states that they are only having pain in the right foot. Upon examination, it is found that the patient has plantar fasciitis, calcaneal spur, and pain on the right foot and no conditions of the left foot. The doctor suggests custom orthotics since the patient has tried several methods of conservative treatment with no success. The doctor is not going to just have ONE orthotic made, so how would you justify the left foot orthotic? In the past, we would just code plantar fasciitis, calcaneal spur, and pain. Now, since the code has to show laterality, I cannot tie the code for right foot pain to the left foot orthotic.

Not sure what to do here... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!:confused:

I have wondered the same thing. But usually we bill out orthotics with 2 units except a few ins co that require one unit for RT and one unit for LT

Our software lists M72.2 Plantar Fasciitis, M72.2 PF of the left and M72.2 PF of the right. So if we are doing only the right foot we can use the description for the RT foot, but if we are doing both feet we can just use the general worded dx code. Do you have that option?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have wondered the same thing. But usually we bill out orthotics with 2 units except a few ins co that require one unit for RT and one unit for LT

Our software lists M72.2 Plantar Fasciitis, M72.2 PF of the left and M72.2 PF of the right. So if we are doing only the right foot we can use the description for the RT foot, but if we are doing both feet we can just use the general worded dx code. Do you have that option?

M72.2 is the ICD-10 code you would use for PF regardless if its left or right as laterality is not one of the options for this code.

The plantar fasciitis does not come in laterality choices but the codes for foot pain and calcaneal spur do. If these are only on say the right side then right side is what must be coded.