Wiki Lab Orders... am I totally wrong here?

ohn0disaster

Best answers
My doctors see a lot of patients that are on some type of anticoagulant. We do PTs monthly on these patients but our doctors rarely write orders for the labs. I needed to know how often they have to have these orders in their notes. I tried to explain to my administrator that the doctor writing "PT monthly" once a year isn't good enough. She wants to send our billing department notes from months prior, when the patient has been in various times since to see the doctor, because that's the last time he mentioned anything about it.

I told her that he can just add an addendum to his last note, which was a few days prior to the PT lab. She just looked at me like I was annoying her.... Lol. I know you can use the note to show the orders for a certain amount of time but how long is that certain amount of time? Where do I find something in writing to prove that I'm not an idiot? Or am I an idiot and I'm completely wrong on this? It just seems to me like, if I go to the doctor in January of 2010 and the doctor writes an order for PT monthly at that time, that order shouldn't last forever....