Wiki Labor Checks Vs. NST

mllivers

Networker
Best answers
Hi,

So when I was put into this position I had very little training and unfortunately I've had to figure things out on my own. My question is when a provider does a labor check, do I still charge for an NST or is there another code that I need to be using? If they only do an NST I charge the 59025-26.

All labor checks are included in the global package. An NST is a diagnostic test done to assess the fetus due to a problem (a 30-40 minute test)
I understand they are 2 different things but when they have a labor check (possible false labor) and they do an NST (because it is included in a labor check) do I charge separately for the NST? or is there a Labor Check code that I should use?

You only charge separately for an NST when there is a clear medical indication for performing it. When done routinely as part of a labor check you would not have a medical indication that would support billing an NST.

You only charge separately for an NST when there is a clear medical indication for performing it. When done routinely as part of a labor check you would not have a medical indication that would support billing an NST.
That's exactly what I needed to know! Thank you.

would you be able to charge for a labor check, e/m visit, without an NST done?