Wiki Laboratory services billing provider information

skraft1969

Networker
Best answers
I am needing to find a good reference source for the following information.
We are a large multi specialty clinic and we have our own laboratory.
For lab services that are ordered by our providers who should be the rendering provider? For services that are ordered by outside providers, who would be the rendering provider? Please provide me with some sort of reference that I can review. Thanks

I am needing to find a good reference source for the following information.
We are a large multi specialty clinic and we have our own laboratory.
For lab services that are ordered by our providers who should be the rendering provider? For services that are ordered by outside providers, who would be the rendering provider? Please provide me with some sort of reference that I can review. Thanks

Hello

Our office is having the same issue, just wondering if you were able to find an accurate reference? Thanks

Hi, I don't have a reference but will provide the knowledge I have learned from coding laboratory.
There isn't much here provided for information but I hear your woes; so may I provide a few examples please.

Provider(s) from our facility sending lab specimens to our lab (that will be processed/resulted by our laboratory) will be billed with:
Service & Billing Provider: is the internal provider that ordered the laboratory test
Department: xxxxxx lab
POS: where it was drawn
Referral Source: will typically be the one that provides the lab order, but if for example pre-op blood work is done for a different provider they may be listed depending on how lab order/referral was entered.

Facility receives an outside lab order (someone not within the facility)
Service & Billing Provider (in our system) is a designated placeholder such as "lab,betterhealthcommunityclinic" that will pull the correct NPI and POS for billing
Department: xxxxx lab
POS: where it was drawn
Referral Source: the provider that gave the facility the lab order/lab requisition - should be on the claim
This claim bills out with the medical director's NPI - make sure you know who your medical director(s) are. I'm from a small community in central MN and we have two different medical directors for our little area.

I apologize for not being able to provide more with the lack of information but if this doesn't provide some insight please reach out with additional details.
Thanks for listening & have a great evening,
Dana Chock, RHIT, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB