Wiki Laceration lower back

meadows

Best answers
Hi, I'm looking for clarification on the difference between the following codes used for laceration of the left lower back:

S21.212A, Laceration without foreign body of left back wall of thorax without penetration into thoracic cavity (does not specify upper or lower)
S31.010A, Laceration without foreign body of lower back and pelvis without penetration into the retroperitoneum (does not specify laterality)
Thanks very much! PM

Lower back injuries would not be coded with the S20-S29 range of ICD-10 codes - those codes are for injuries to the thorax, which extends down to the bottom of the rib cage. These codes would also, by default, report injuries to the 'back' if the location was not further specified, as instructed in the Alphabetic Index.

Lower back injuries would be reported with codes in the S30-31 code range, which are used for injuries to the abdomen, lower back and pelvis - i.e. below the rib cage. But when in doubt, just follow the path given by the Alphabetic Index which will direct you to the right code based on the terminology used by the provider.

Lower back injuries would not be coded with the S20-S29 range of ICD-10 codes - those codes are for injuries to the thorax, which extends down to the bottom of the rib cage. These codes would also, by default, report injuries to the 'back' if the location was not further specified, as instructed in the Alphabetic Index.

Lower back injuries would be reported with codes in the S30-31 code range, which are used for injuries to the abdomen, lower back and pelvis - i.e. below the rib cage. But when in doubt, just follow the path given by the Alphabetic Index which will direct you to the right code based on the terminology used by the provider.
Thank you, Thomas! Your reply makes perfect sense and is much appreciated. PMeadows