Wiki Lack of prenatal care code for AT THE DELIVERY/CHILDBIRTH

parcoeliz

Best answers
Hi there,

I have a chart for a woman presenting in labor...she ended up having a c/s. So, this is a childbirth/delivery episode. The woman did not have ANY prenatal care. I was trying to find an ICD 10 cm code for that. The only code I could find was code O09.3--Supervision of pregnancy with insufficient antenatal care. BUT you can't use this code on a childbirth/delivery chart, only for pregnancy/prenatal visits. So, is there a code I can use? Or do I just not code anything for that?
Thank you!

If your primary code is O82 you should leave it off, as the only things that should go with that is a Z37.- code and maybe Z3A.-

If your primary code is something else, I think you could list the O09.3- as a secondary code for informational purposes.

Hi, no you can't use the O09 code with the delivery. Per the guidelines you would assign any complications that occurred (eg, why is she having a c-sec) and if there are no complications use O80 or O82. If a reason for the c-sec wasn't specified in the note though, I would send it back and ask.