Wiki lactation consultation

jbhuju

Guru
Best answers
hello all,
i do have a question regarding coding and billing for lactation consultation BY CLC ( certified lactation consultation) . how do we bill that. i did few research and found that we can bill as S9443, 98960, 99401-99404 or 99241-99245 but could not get exact answer. please help.
thank you

You'll need to reach out to your payers to see which codes they recognize for this service. Our facility primarily uses 99401-99404 and S9443. Some payers have policies on lactation counseling on their websites, others we had to reach out to individually.

Is the CLC an RN? Our office has an RN, NP and DO who are all certified. I am having an issue finding the correct codes to use for the RN's services since she does not have an NPI and is not a billable provider.

You'll need to reach out to your payers to see which codes they recognize for this service. Our facility primarily uses 99401-99404 and S9443. Some payers have policies on lactation counseling on their websites, others we had to reach out to individually.
Amanda, this is a new service we are providing in our outpatient OB/GYN/Midwife clinic by a CLC and have found the codes you mention are what most of our payers accept. I have an additional question regarding supplies used by the lactation consultant. She would like to be able to charge for the supplies, ie: Nipple Shields, Supplemental Nursing System, Breast Shells. When these services were provided in the hospital they discontinued charging for the supplies as it was lumped into a global fee for the lactation services. Do you charge for any supplies that are used by the lactation consultant? I am trying to find the appropriate HCPC code for these and so far have only found A4281: Tubing for breast pump, replacement A4282: Adapter for breast pump, replacement A4283: Cap for breast pump bottle, replacement A4284: Breast Shield and splash protector for use with breast pump, replacement A4285: Polycarbonate bottle for use with breast pump, replacement A4286: Locking ring for breast pump, replacement. Of course these are not descriptive of the supplies she uses.