Wiki Lacunar Stroke

bengles

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hello All,

I am looking for clarification on correcting coding of Lacunar Stroke. My thoughts, under the new ICD-10 rules, it is a 'specified' stroke; tho not specific enough for a location and therefore would be best defined as I63.8 which is 'Other' Cerebral Infarction vs I63.9 which is Cerebral infarction, Unspecified (Stroke NOS). What do ya'll think?

Thank you!

I was reading that if imaging is not done yet its considered a syndrome? which falls under G46.5-G46.7. Although we can't just assume though

My understanding is the NEC and NOS hold the same meaning as it did in ICD-9 so the rule in assigning shouldn't be any different.

I63.8 is NEC
I63.9 is NOS

Hello All,

I am looking for clarification on correcting coding of Lacunar Stroke. My thoughts, under the new ICD-10 rules, it is a 'specified' stroke; tho not specific enough for a location and therefore would be best defined as I63.8 which is 'Other' Cerebral Infarction vs I63.9 which is Cerebral infarction, Unspecified (Stroke NOS). What do ya'll think?

Thank you!

My thoughts are the same--since it is specified, I63.8 is the best choice. However, there are several sites I've come across that list Lacunar as I63.9. I don't get the logic in that AT ALL!!

Here's one of them I've seen it on; you can search I63.8 on the same site for examples it includes there.

http://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/I00-I99/I60-I69/I63-/I63.9