• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Lap Assist Vag Hysterectomy for Didelphic Uterus

ciarahertzog

Guest
Messages
19
Location
Kansas City, Missouri
We have a patient who is scheduled for a laparoscopic vaginal hysterectomy and she has the congenital abnormality of having 2 uteruses and 2 cervixes (sorry, I don't know the correct plural forms of these words). I know the diagnosis codes for these anomalies, but I am questioning how I should bill the procedure to the insurance.

The patient has United Health Care and I am not finding any real guidance in their medical policies as to whether I should bill the LAVH twice (one for each uterus) with a possible 51 or 59 modifier, or if I should bill the LAVH only once with a 22 modifier. Customer service offered no guidance, as they can not tell one how to bill a claim.

I really haven't decided which way I am going to go. I know that either way I will probably be appealing the claim in some fashion. I am just curious to see what other coders would do.

Any input is appreciated.
 
Top