Wiki Laparoscopic appendectomy

daniellef

New
Best answers
Looking for some guidance. Per my review of the OP report it appears CPT 44970 would be the appropriate code to bill for this surgery. However, the provider's coder billed this surgery under unlisted code 44979. This is not my area of specialty so I am reaching out to my fellow coders for a second opinion.

Details from the OP report:
Attention was turned to the appendix. Two further 5mm ports were placed, one LLQ, and the other supra-pubic in position.

While removing adhesions, a small burn injury was made to the cecum. The appendix was then identified. With the use of laparoscopic equipment the tip of the appendix was retracted anteriorly, and dissection was completed with a ligasure to free the appendix. The mesoappendix was taken with the ligasure, hemostasis was achieved. The base of the appendix was stapled and divided using a endoGIA stapler, while load.

The appendix was placed in an endocatch bag, and placed out of the way.

I would code the laparoscopic appendectomy as 44970. Perhaps there was another portion of the procedure that would explain the unlisted?
I would also inquire with the coder regarding why unlisted was used. Politely inquire, because you are trying to learn, not because you are questioning their judgment (even if that's really what you are doing ;))