Wiki laparoscopic Laminectomy

SPERRON

New
Best answers
Hello Everyone,

We will be doing laparoscopic laminectomies at our facility. We have been told to use the open codes (63001, 63003, etc). This does not sound correct to me, I am thinking more in the lines of unlisted neuro codes. Does anyone do these at their facilities or have any information. Thank you for your assistance. Have a great day. Shelley :)

Are you referring to the MIA (Minimally Invasive approach)-endoscopic?

63030 (example)-This procedure may be done as an open approach or an endoscopically-assisted approach, in which a small guide probe is inserted and manipulated through the foramen into the spinal canal under special video and radiographic guidance. A catheter is manipulated over the probe at the surgical site and instruments are advanced through the lumen. Herniated disc fragments are removed to eliminate pressure. The endoscope is withdrawn; all layers are sutured back into position; and the skin is closed. Code 63020 reports one cervical interspace; code 63030 reports one lumbar interspace; and code 63035 is used for each additional interspace, either cervical or lumbar.