Wiki Laser Lithotripsy of Prostate Stone?

toria11

Guru
Best answers
I'm thinking 52353 but I'm not sure if that includes prostate stones? Physician is doing a cysto Laser Lithotripsy of a Prostate Stone. Any help is appreciated!!

52353 does not sound correct to me as that would include a ureteroscopy, which is not normally part of the approach to the prostate. It's hard to recommend a code though without seeing the operative report - are you able to provide more detail?

Cysto results say:
Prostate: Well resected prostatic channel with no evidence of significant residual tissue. There was a moderate-sized stone lodged within the channel.

Usually prostatic calculi are small. Code 52317 as this code includes bladder and urethra as this code and 52318 fall under the heading of urethra and bladder in the CPT manual.

Cysto results say:
Prostate: Well resected prostatic channel with no evidence of significant residual tissue. There was a moderate-sized stone lodged within the channel.
If a part of the prostate was resected, as this suggests, then this was not a lithotripsy procedure. You really need an operative report, or at least a more detailed description, to be able to code this.

Sounds like the physician hasn't performed the lithotripsy yet, but is planning to after the cysto results noted above maybe?
That's correct! Sorry that wasn't clear. After the physician performed a cysto in office and discovered the stone, he is planning to perform a cysto with lithotripsy of the prostate stone. I believe 52317 will be the appropriate code for this as long as the procedure method and location of the stone doesn't change before then. I realize it's difficult to code a procedure without an OP note, the office was just trying to narrow it down so they could get auth. Thanks for your reply!!