Wiki Lasik

rtate

New
Best answers
Can anyone tell me if this information is still current(I pulled from a 2007 post)?

Originally Posted by npusa0034
Does anyone know if this is the full list of codes you would use for a LASIK -cash pay?

Lasik- Cash pay
92004-Office Visit-New patient
92014- Office Visit-Established Patient -
SO800- LASIK

Contigency Code-92015 (Refraction) Can be billed with CPT 92014

Refractory Surgery-Cash pay
CPT Code -92004- Office Visit-New patient
CPT Code-92014 - Office Visit -Estsblsihed Pt.
CPT Code 92015-Refraction

Response to original post:
You might want to use 92025 for Corneal Topography.

Thanks.

Corneal Topography

Is there anything in writing on how many units you can charge per visit for a Corneal Topography (92025)? Our physician is charging multiple units per visit for this procedure.

Thank you!

I believe that corneal topography is a bilateral code. Why would your doctor need to do more than one topography per visit. That doesn't really sound realistic.

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC

Is there anything in writing on how many units you can charge per visit for a Corneal Topography (92025)? Our physician is charging multiple units per visit for this procedure.

Thank you!

I believe that corneal topography is a bilateral code. Why would your doctor need to do more than one topography per visit. That doesn't really sound realistic.

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC

Good memory. Even in the absence of Tom's clinical expertise about frequency. The code description of "Unilateral or Bilateral" w/ a MUE of 1 means you cannot bill more than 1 unit.

Last edited:
Corneal Topography

I sent the doctor a copy of the information that I had on the Corneal Topography being a unilateral code, however she is insisting on trying to justify using multiple units. I think she is doing 2-3 types of Topography in a visit for Refractive and she believes that she should be able to charge units. I was just wondering if there was any other documentation that I could give her regarding the use of units and when/how they are used with procedures that would make it more clear to her.

CPT description is Unilateral OR Bilateral so it doesn't matter how many eyes. I don't know what she means by 2-3 types. Provider either did corneal topography or they didn't. Maybe she did a different type of scan that is reported with a different code?

Some topographers do scans of both surfaces, external and internal, of the cornea. However, these are not considered multiple separate scans,
Your provider is really doing what I'd call abusive coding if she is insisting on billing multiple scans at one visit.

Also, one thing I don't quite understand is why is the provider billing topography for each visit. LASIK is an elective procedure and the patients pay cash out of pocket. Most surgeons charge a flat fee which covers pre op, surgery and post op care, which would include the topographies as well.

If your provider is billing the patient's medical insurance for the topography for an elective procedure, I can tell you that an auditor would have a ball with those claims if they came under review.

Thomas Cheezum, O.D., CPC