Wiki Late Effects & how to sequence these codes

Best answers
Hi Everyone,

I am really confused on how to sequence Late Effects codes. Based on the guidelines I gather you code the illness/injury first, followed by the late effect or is the late effect (present condition) coded first, followed by the past condition that caused it? Please help because I am receiving conflicting information from different sources.

Thank you :eek:

The guideline will tell you that with the exception of poisoning, for injury late effects you code the presenting problem first, followed by the code for the injury that has caused this issue and use the 7th character S.
For poisoning and late effects of poisoning you code the T code for the substanc first using the 7th character S, followed by the code for the current problem.

Hi thanks for the quick response! Just to be clear, when you say "injury" does this include diseases that cause a late effect or a stroke that causes a late effect as well? I just want to make sure that when you state injuries, that this rule of coding is not only for fractures but for illnesses that can cause late effects.

Thanks

The code for late effect of a stroke is one code that includes the problem and the fact that it was caused by a stoke. So I69 codes do not need a code for the stroke just anI69, you add a code only when told to such as dysphasia will indicate an additional code needed for the phase. If it is not an injury, or if there is no code to indicate sequels or condition caused by, etc then code the current problem, and code the underlying condition second unless the code directs you differently.

Last edited: