Wiki latera C9749

The C code for Latera can only be used by facility billing, for ASC or OR facility. It is a pass through so they can get paid for the implant in addition to their grouper. A physician cannot bill the C code and get paid for it.

Barbara J. Cobuzzi MBA, CPC, COC, CPC-P CPC-I CPCO, CENTC
Consulting Editor Otolaryngology Coding Alert
www.CRNHealthcare.com
b.cobuzzi@att.net

Last edited:
Follow up question

The C code for Latera can only be used by facility billing, for ASC or OR facility. It is a pass through so they can get paid for the implant in addition to their grouper. A physician cannot bill the C code and get paid for it.

Barbara J. Cobuzzi MBA, CPC, COC, CPC-P CPC-I CPCO, CENTC
Consulting Editor Otolaryngology Coding Alert
www.CRNHealthcare.com
b.cobuzzi@att.net

Does that mean I can bill the C9749 alone and get paid? I work in an ASC and we are looking to perform our first one of these. I see a lot of threads saying to use the 30999 but this code is on the ASC not allowable list. I wasnt sure if I could bill the C code as the one and only

I believe so, Tdesher. I suggest you contact the reimbursement line for Stryker (now owns Entellus) and they should be able to answer your questions.

Barbara Cobuzzi

How many code for this and do you code the implant separately?

I sent an email to the rep in regard to coding/billing this in the ASC setting and this is the information I received:

"If you are billing Facility Fees, you would use C9749 for the procedure and C1889 for the implant—when billing for Medicare patients. There are some random payers that accept the C codes, but we don’t have a list of the payers that do. If you bill the C codes, you may or may not get additional payment for the device. That varies by payer. (The L8699 code is a potential option, but the C1889 code description mentions that it’s for a device-intensive procedure, which is what LATERA is.)"