Lcsw & lpcc

sherriev

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hi everyone! I need some advice. I've been coding for a Behavioral office for 5 years. During that time we only employed Psychiatrists and Psychiatric Nurse Practitioners. In the last few months, we've hired LCSWs and LPCCs. If a patient sees either the LCSW or LPCC first and later sees a Psychiatrist, is the patient considered new for the Psychiatrist? All are employed by the same clinic and billed under the same tax ID number. Thanks!

Pam Brooks

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
NAB Member
Best answers
If you bill an E&M for the psychiatrist, you can bill a new patient visit; the social workers are a different specialty, and also will not be billing out E&M services (they bill from the counseling codes in the medicine section).

Same with APRNs; even if they are psych APRNs, they are a different specialty (and level of provider) than the MD psychiatrist. Both could bill out NP visits for the same patient at their first encounter. The only instance you would have a problem is if you are billing incident-to the MD. Then you get only one new patient visit. The APRN would need to bill under their own NPI.