Wiki Learning E/M coding

Best answers
I am looking for a new job in the field of Medical Coding, and I am a CPC through the AAPC since 2012, but I have one problem: I don't know how do E/M coding, despite working in a Family Practice for 20+ years. The doctor did all the CPT coding for us. I went to a technical college and received a certificate in Medical Coding, but they did not teach me the guidelines there, either. What is the best way for me to learn how to do E/M coding? Do I need to go back to school or take a Coding course through the AAPC or is there a better, more efficient way? Any advice or direction you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Patrick
I d get current coding workbook and practice plus read the CPT manual in the Eval Mgnt area. I can tell you this pay attention to if first or established or follow up or consult visits. Also is new or established patient? Understand difference in SOAP and MEAT and TAMPER coding guides plus their settings. The ROS and HPI should be reviewed see if coincide but some visit such as follow up might not do ROS each visit.. Provider prescribing meds, ordering ancillary xrays and labs add to the type of EV visit and amount of dx problems pt suffering with on day of treatment. Also do not use 99215 unless pt has emergency situation or usually sent to ER., If any mental health visit time of session needs to be written in medical documenting for treatment of the day. The CPT 99211 is still nurses codes and other medical professional QHP can use this code too for minimal treatments( removing bandages, BP check, help pt get meds renewed by speaking to provider.) understand when and how use modifier 25 with office visits or OP services. Medical necessity is important too of CPT codes and Dx compliment each other. Understand when use Z dx codes too...there are first listed, personal med history, family history and encounter Z dx codes.
I hope helped you somewhat
Lady T

Last edited:
I am looking for a new job in the field of Medical Coding, and I am a CPC through the AAPC since 2012, but I have one problem: I don't know how do E/M coding, despite working in a Family Practice for 20+ years. The doctor did all the CPT coding for us. I went to a technical college and received a certificate in Medical Coding, but they did not teach me the guidelines there, either. What is the best way for me to learn how to do E/M coding? Do I need to go back to school or take a Coding course through the AAPC or is there a better, more efficient way? Any advice or direction you can give me is greatly appreciated.
You can find many videos in youtube for E&M Coding. If you have any friend in E&M coding I would suggest you to ask them and if possible try to observe them. You can mail me (santhiyaparthiban@gmail.com). I will share you the materials and link that I have

There are a lot of videos and online resources, but just make sure it is a reputable source such as AAPC, AHIMA, NAMAS, AMA, one of the medical specialty societies (AAFP, AAOS, etc.), CMS, etc. I would caution going with any unknown or not well known source or starting off paying money to an unknown source. You could start by reading your CPT book and guidelines to get a feel for it.

Are you still at the same employer? Sometimes the best way is to just start trying it. As suggested, if you have a friend or co-worker that knows you could ask for help. Possibly attending local chapters to find help. There are loads of resources online. E/M is still probably one of the most confusing things for folks to learn, however it is much easier now with the new guidelines (at least I think so). If you plan on sticking with Family Practice, focus on learning E/M in that area. If not, you might want to consider what specialty you want to work in and focus on that first. For example, focus on office/outpatient first without delving into observation, inpatient, etc.

CMS has free modules and might have an E/M: https://www.cms.gov/training-education/medicare-learning-network/resources-training
The MACS also have a lot of info, example: https://medicare.fcso.com/online_learning/0476087.asp
This might be a good place to start: https://www.aapc.com/workshops/em-series.aspx

Hi there, congratulations! This is a great time to learn E/M coding because it is much easier.

I would order the 2024 CPT manual today and read E/M guidance from your Medicare administrative contractor and top three private payers while you wait for it to arrive. You can't go wrong by learning and following the rules set down by the people who pay the claims.

If you read articles from non-official sources, including specialty societies, double-check the date. You don't want to waste time on information that is outdated.

I would focus on the current guidelines first and ignore the older 1995 and 1997 guidelines at this point. Knowledge of the 1995/1997 guidelines will be useful if you intend to perform internal reviews of office claims before 2021 or claims in other settings (hospital, nursing facility, etc) before 2023.