Wiki leg amputation

Best answers
I have a patient that had a guillotine amputation done 6 days ago. and then a bka (3 days) after that.
in the past i had billed the first surgery with 27882. and then the actual bka with 27880,58. the second surgery 27880 is denying because the insurance is saying the patient had a previous amputation. "certain services cannot be reasonably performed on the same leg since the requires anatomical structures for the procedure are no longer present." I already tried an inquiry, this is my response from the inquiry.
any suggestions ? perhaps one of the "x" modifiers, but I am not certain which one.

I believe you would have to use 27886 since you already billed an amputation through the tibia and fibula first (27882). Even if the first one was lower down, it's still the tibia/fibula.

I have a patient that had a guillotine amputation done 6 days ago. and then a bka (3 days) after that.
in the past i had billed the first surgery with 27882. and then the actual bka with 27880,58. the second surgery 27880 is denying because the insurance is saying the patient had a previous amputation. "certain services cannot be reasonably performed on the same leg since the requires anatomical structures for the procedure are no longer present." I already tried an inquiry, this is my response from the inquiry.
any suggestions ? perhaps one of the "x" modifiers, but I am not certain which one.
I'm with Amy. I would bill 27886,58.