legal consult

Best answers
I have a family practice physician who saw grandparents who wanted legal advice concerning a granddaughter they are trying to get custody of. The family practice physician treated the child during a time when they thought there was abuse going on. His note only goes over what his opinions and thoughts were.
Is there a code to use for something like this. My feelings are for him to tell the grandparents this is a self pay encounter and not run it through the insurance company. It is on the grandmothers account, which I am not sure is correct either. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

You'd bill the insurance of the person who requested the consult. In this case, probably the grandmother, but I'd let them know that this probably won't be covered.

Use V61.8, other specified family circumstance. (V65.1 directs you to this).

I'd use a regular E&M; although you could argue that the preventive counseling could be used, if they are trying to specifically work on ways to prevent further abuse. It sounds more like they need legal/medical advice for an already identified problem, though.