Wiki Lesion with Complex Repair

BABS37

Best answers
Hi. I'm just learning more about dermatology coding and documentation and wanted to see if anyone can clarify the report below. I've always been taught to never code by the procedure title only and I don't think the documentation supports the measurements listed.

Can someone tell me what they think?

Procedure:
Excision of central lip lesion measuring .05 cm CPT 11440
Complex repair upper lip measuring 1.1 cm CPT 13151

A #15 blade was used to incise the previously made lines, including both the lesion and the margins as well as inferior and superior burow triangles. The lesion was sent to Path. Hemostasis was achieved with bipolar cautery. THe wound was widely undermined with a #15 blade for 1 cm in all directions. The wound was closed in a multilayered fashion with deep inverted sutures.

Hello,
after looking at your note it doesn't look like you would be able to code a 13151. The only way to code a complex closure if it was 1.1 and larger. The body of the note says 1 cm so I wouldn't code a 13151.

Thanks

Hi pinkfloyd1! I know widely undermining is an indicator of a complex closure but the actual documentation in his dictation says the repair only measured 1 cm in all directions so that's why I don't think 13151 is appropriate to bill as the description starts at 1.1 cm. Is this not how you interpret the procedure done? I just don't like coding from headings as I don't think that's appropriate... :confused:

Ive coded many Exc and Repairs and you are right that you shouldnt code from the heading, but the procedure note in this case would be ok to Bill 13151 (IMO). If you feel its conflicting you should query the Provider if the 1 cm is really a complex repair. From my Exp i wouldnt question the type of repair unless its missing certain details, But i do see your point of view because it does say 1cm then 1.1cm in the heading. You could downcode to 13150 for 1.0cm and Less

Last edited:
13150 is a discontinued code as of this year. The new rule for complex closure codes is that they can only be used for repairs of 1.1 cm or greater. If the repair is 1.0 cm or less, you have to use an intermediate repair code, regardless of the undermining done.