Wiki Let's chat about TCC (Transitional Cell Carcinoma)

danachock

Expert
Best answers
Hi AAPC Colleagues,
I do have a question and was hopeful for some insight please.
What are you using for a diagnosis code(s) when you receive a lab requisition for TCC (transitional cell carcinoma); the site was not specified?
I am seeing C64.x, C65.x, C66.x, C67.x, C68.x assigned but (as a book coder) I do not see how we get to that specificity.
Is there a urologist/nephrologist coding article that I may have missed to get to that specificity?
Thank you in advance for all your help and have a great evening,
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT

Hi Danachock,:)
There are levels of CA staging but the TCC Transitional Cell Carcinoma the provider needs to give you the body organ area such as Bladder Carcinoma D09.0, Prostate Carcinoma is D07.5, Etc. since it is usually related to the Geni urinary system. If the cancer is secondary or metastasis there are specific dx codes for that in range of blocks of C79 too. But if not specific can use C79.9 for secondary CA sites unspecified. So you can use dx C80.1 per the ICD10 manual for your situation.
Well I hope this helps you a little bit.
Lady T(y)

Thank you Lady T for responding,
I clearly understand how we get to the neoplasm table and what is mets and when it isn't. I already posted those guidelines long ago on this very pathology forum website. My question again, was if I simply missed an update or bulletin on this.
Have a wonderful evening,
Dana