Wiki Let's chat on N80 okay

danachock

Expert
Best answers
Hi, do your pathologists know of the 130+ new endometriosis codes starting 10/1/2022? I am completely betting not ~ my pathology teams are usually in the midst of this but when I asked my favorite pathologist (medical director) late Wednesday if she was aware of this, she wasn't so I am clearly baffled on this. I shared all my intel "pictures of my new coding book" along with the picture of my prior coding book to compare and ask for guidance TO THE NEW THREE PAGES THAT WE HAVE to code from moving forward. I don't expect my pathologist(s) to code these accessions but be knowledgeable so that when they are documenting these cases with their final interpretation that they are stating laterality (right or left) or bilateral, location (example: posterior versus anterior cul-de-sac), superficial versus deep when it is absolutely possible for ICD code selection. Also please be sure to review "endometrioma" in our new ICD book N80.12x.
Thank you for listening and have a wonderful evening,
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT

Last edited:
Thanks Dana! BTW - it's not just pathologists that realized (or did not realize) that endometriosis is now pages of options instead of 9 options. I am updating my coding team references right now in fact.

Thank you csperoni,
I received feedback from my two pathology mentors (nearly 10 years each) early this afternoon and they shared with me that this it isn't all about the pathology team "policing" accessions and holding charges for specific location.
This is clearly a team effort down the whole chain from the OBGYN surgeon's document on where the specimen was acquired from to making sure that specific location is on the label that the accessioner is processing and providing it to the pathology department. Laterality (right, left, bilateral) and location of this specimen for proper dx code assignment is essential. I am so pleased that that you updated your coding teams references. My current and sole primary specialty is pathology so I will always be overlooking my team in my casual role, and also all my client(s) role to share information as it arises. I'd prefer to be "proactive" versus "reactive".
Have a fantastic evening and if you need anything, feel free to reach out.
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT