Wiki Ligation of Atrial Appendage

coop22

Networker
Best answers
Does anyone know if this will ever have it's own CPT code for when this is done with open cardiac procedures. Not all insurance companies will pay 33999. And 33257-52 can't be used per Julie Painter. I don't see any new Cat III codes for this again this year. This procedure is very common I have no clue why they can't give it a CPT.

In the note under Electrophysiologic Operative Procedures in CPT, isolation of the left appendage by any method during a concurrent procedure requiring a median sternotomy or cardiac bypass is coded with an add-on code from 33257,33258, 33259 depending on situation. 33257 is already considered "limited" so maybe the modifier is the problem there. Be sure you read all the way through the description for these 3 codes because they are very specific to each situation. Hope this helps.

In the note under Electrophysiologic Operative Procedures in CPT, isolation of the left appendage by any method during a concurrent procedure requiring a median sternotomy or cardiac bypass is coded with an add-on code from 33257,33258, 33259 depending on situation. 33257 is already considered "limited" so maybe the modifier is the problem there. Be sure you read all the way through the description for these 3 codes because they are very specific to each situation. Hope this helps.
Thank you. It just says for all of them the Left Atrial Appendage "May" be excised or isolated. It is not always a part of the maze procedure. So when were not doing the Maze part just the Ligation with other cardiac procedures. It still goes to 33999. Just find it odd that they have not started a CPT code for this.

I read that differently. The add on code would be used to follow whatever procedure required the median sternotomy or cardiac bypass. I googled Maze procedure and although I didn't get a clear idea of what it entails but if you code for an open heart procedure and they do the ligation, I still see it as an add on code from 33257-33259. It could be I need new glasses! lol