Wiki Limited Ultrasound in office, Billing?

DAWNC34

Contributor
Best answers
Hi, I'm just wondering if anybody bills "Limited" Ultrasound done in office? If yes, what code & POS do you use? My manager asked me about billing Renal Bladder & scrotal US in office? Thanks for any help!

Hi, I'm just wondering if anybody bills "Limited" Ultrasound done in office? If yes, what code & POS do you use? My manager asked me about billing Renal Bladder & scrotal US in office? Thanks for any help!
Assuming your office has the ultrasound equipment and an ultrasound technician (i.e., technical component) and your provider is providing the interpretation and report (i.e., professional component), then you can bill the service globally (i.e., without modifiers -26 and/or -TC).

POS would be 11 for an office.

A "renal bladder" ultrasound would actually be a complete (not limited) retroperitoneal ultrasound, CPT 76770. As per AMA CPT 2024, p. 557,

A complete ultrasound examination of the retroperitoneum (76770) consists of real time scans of the kidneys, abdominal aorta, common iliac artery origins, and inferior vena cava, including any demonstrated retroperitoneal abnormality. Alternatively, if clinical history suggests urinary tract pathology, complete evaluation of the kidneys and urinary bladder also comprises a complete retroperitoneal ultrasound.

A scrotal ultrasound is CPT 76870.