Wiki liver biopsy with lap chole

lindacoder

Best answers
I think this has been discussed before but would still like some imput:

PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Biliary colic.

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Biliary colic, plus liver metastases, unknown primary.

OPERATION PERFORMED: Diagnostic laparoscopy with cholecystectomy and left lobe liver mass excision.

INDICATIONS FOR PROCEDURE: A 61-year-old female who has been having epigastric right upper quadrant pain. She had an ultrasound that shows biliary sludge. She now is to undergo laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE: In the supine position, the abdomen was prepped and draped in the usual fashion. After anesthetizing with 0.25% Marcaine, supraumbilical transverse incision was made. Under direct visualization, a 5 mm Optiview port was placed. The abdomen was insufflated with 15 cm pressure. Incision was made epigastric and a 10 mm port was placed under direct visualization and two 5 mm ports in the right subcostal margin. Upon looking around, she was found to have diffuse liver mets, probably anywhere from 5 mm to 1 cm in size, scattered throughout both lobes, I did an excisional biopsy of one on the left lobe. Hemostasis obtained with electrocautery. The pathologist looked at it and it is consistent with adenocarcinoma duct in origin.

After ensuring that that site was dry, I grasped the liver and retracted cephalad. The cystic duct was dissected free. It was small in size and junction visualized, therefore, cholangiogram was not performed. Cystic duct was clipped proximally twice, distally once and divided. The cystic artery was dissected free, it was clipped proximally twice, distally once and divided. Gallbladder was taken off the liver bed with electrocautery. After freeing it completely, it was placed in a specimen bag and brought out through the epigastric port. The port was placed. After ensuring hemostasis at that site, I looked at her small bowel and looked normal. I looked at her colon; what I could see externally I did not see signs of any lesions. I could not see any definite etiology for this liver primary, but it was somewhat difficult to visualize due to her size. After ensuring that there was hemostasis, the instruments and ports were removed. The epigastric fascia was approximated with interrupted 2-0 Vicryl, skin edges closed with interrupted 4-0 Monocryl subcuticular stitch. Steri-Strips and a sterile dressing was applied. Estimated blood loss: Minimal. Sponge and needle counts were correct. She tolerated the procedure and was taken to the recovery room in satisfactory condition.

By pathology biopsy was 1.8 x 1.0 x 0.6 cm consistent with adenocarcinoma.

Not sure if I can use 47379 with comparison to open code 47001 since it is an add-on code.

Any help is appreciated.

Good Morning..I code for General Surgery and I use the 47379 and compare it to code 47100. Looking at your posted operative note that is what I would use.
Hope this helps.
Teresa