Wiki Locum Tenens clarification

Lauriemma

New
Best answers
So, I cut and pasted this directly from CMS online manual... What my boss wants to know is can we bill a locum under the group number rather than under the physician they are filling in for. I say no but wanted to see what you all had to say. And if you have documentation to back it up that'd be great! Thanks a bunch!

"For a medical group to submit assigned and unassigned claims for the services a locum tenens physician provides for patients of the regular physician who is a member of the group, the requirements of subsection B must be met. For purposes of these requirements, per diem or similar fee-for-time compensation which the group pays the locum tenens physician is considered paid by the regular physician. Also, a physician who has left the group and for whom the group has engaged a locum tenens physician as a temporary replacement may bill for the temporary physician for up to 60 days. The group must enter in item 24d of Form CMS-1500 the HCPCS modifier Q6 after the procedure code. Until further notice, the group must keep on file a record of each service provided by the substitute physician, associated with the substitute physician's UPIN or NPI when required, and make this record available to the carrier upon request. In addition, the medical group physician for whom the substitution services are furnished must be identified by his/her provider identification number (PIN) or NPI when required on block 24J of the appropriate line item.

Physicians who are members of a group but who bill in their own names are generally treated as independent physicians for purposes of applying the requirements of subsection A for payment for locum tenens physician services. Compensation paid by the group to the locum tenens physician is considered paid by the regular physician for purposes of those requirements. The term “regular physician” includes a physician who has left the group and for whom the group has hired the locum tenens physician as a replacement."

the next tothe last paragraph states.. "In addition, the medical group physician for whom the substitution services are furnished must be identified by his/her provider identification number (PIN) or NPI when required on block 24J of the appropriate line item." Unless I am misunderstanding what you need this answers your question.